Want to order one...

All orders will go through my Etsy shop. For custom items I'll create a special listing with your name on it.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :) To contact me about a purse please send me a message through my Etsy shop, or 2011 Books With Bite (on FB).

blank

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -


Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Interview with author Rachel Rawlings -The Maurin Kincaide Series


1. What inspired you to write your first book? (historical romance, paranormal or YA) I’ve written short stories and poems off and on since I was little but never pursued it professionally.  My passion for reading and writing has never waned.  A few years ago I got frustrated with the way some of my favorite heroines were evolving.  It’s what finally gave me the push I needed to take all my notes and turn them into a novel.


2. Will you be writing anymore Paranormal books, if so what will they be about and how many? Will it be a series?  I am just about finished with Witch Hunt, book two in The Maurin Kincaide Series.  My target release date is October 30th.  It picks up right where The Morrigna left off. 

3. Do you have a specific writing style? My style of writing is very casual.  I right how I feel the characters would speak.  Each one has their own voice and style in my head which I hope comes through my writing.

4. Do you like being an author? I love being an author.  The whole concept seems so surreal to me.  The fact that people have read and enjoyed what I have written is mind blowing.

5. How did you come up with the titles for your Paranormal books?  Titles are tough actually.  I try to find something that ties into the story but still makes people want to pick up the book.  I had a harder time with The Morrigna, than Witch Hunt.  I must have changed it half a dozen times.

6. Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?My books are for entertainment.  I hope they give people an escape from the every day stuff.  As for a message? Well, I'm no Aesop- you won't find any moral lessons or hidden meanings.

7. Are there places in this book that are real? (towns, schools, etc) There are real places in my novels and a good bit of Celtic mythology.

8. What books have most influenced your life most? Too many to list.  If I had to pick something I guess it would have to be the Choose Your Own Adventure books I read as a kid.  They really spurned my love for reading.

9. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? Anne Rice.

10. What book are you reading now? I am getting ready to start A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison.

11. Are there any new authors that have piqued your interest? J.D. Brown and debut novel Dark Heirloom.  I read that recently and thoroughly enjoyed it!  She’s very talented.

12. What are your current projects? I am wrapping up my second book.  I have a third outlined and a novella in the works.

13. Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members. I’ve found a lot of support through other authors and readers on Facebook actually.  I’m new to the industry and fumbling my way around but the people I’ve met so far have been amazing!

14. Do you see writing as a career? I hope it becomes one.  I’d be a happy girl if I could turn the dream job into my day job!

15. Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? This probably sounds terrible but I don’t.  I just remember having notebooks filled with half written stories and poems shoved into my dresser drawers since like 6th grade.

16. Can you share a little of your current work with us?  There are some recent random samples posted on my face book page for Witch Hunt.

17. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? Names.  I drive myself crazy trying to come up with character names.  I’ve even enlisted the help of my best friend Cory on more than one occasion to score the internet for name sites.

18. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? Tolkein.  I love all the layers he created- the maps, the elven languages etc.  His attention to detail was unbelievable.  It’s what sucks you in to his stories.

19. Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)? I’m traveling for the first time in October to the New York Comic Con.  I’ll be there on the 12th.  I’m really excited about it.

20. Who designed the covers? I design my own covers.

21. What was the hardest part of writing your book? Making time.  Managing my family’s salons full time already takes a lot of time away from my husband and three kids.  So trying to find the time to write and not feel guilty about it is hard.

22. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? That it is never too late to accomplish your goals and fulfill your dreams.

23. Do you have any advice for other writers?  Writing is hard, getting published is harder and being Indie is the hardest of all.  I’m Indie and regret nothing but be prepared for a lot of hard work.  Have thick skin- like Kevlar thick.  Agents and Publishing Houses can be tough but anonymous people on the internet are tougher.  Get a good editor.  They’re worth every penny!  But most importantly, don’t give up!

24. What were the challenges (research, literary, psychological, and logistical) in bringing your books to life? Logistical.  It’s been a very home grown operation on getting the word out about my book and that’s fine because I’m in it for the long haul. 

25. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? Thank you.  Thank you for taking a chance on an unknown author and for reading my book!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel. Sorry I'm late to comment but just wanted to stop by and leave some love for my fellow paranormal writer, reader, and friend. Thanks for mentioning me and Dark Heirloom. It's so cool when others drop your name or title into conversation. ;)

    ReplyDelete