1. Do you sing in the shower? If so, what song? Yes! I listen to music while in the shower and I sing along, quite loudly, to all of my favorite songs.
2. Do you say what’s on your mind? Possibly a little too often…
3. Favorite food, if any? That changes often. Right now my favorite food is Yancey’s Fancy Smoked Gouda. It is so yummy!
4. What would we find in your purse? Um… Way too much stuff: My cell phone, Mickey Mouse wallet, hand sanitizer, a notebook, snacks, mints, several pens, a bottle of Motrin, a nail file, old shopping lists, and a ton of receipts that need tossed. I think it may be time to clean out my purse.
5. Do you have a secret? Lots of them, and they aren’t all mine. ;)
6. What would we find in your closet? Secrets and a whole lot of flip flops. ;)
7. Do the characters ever take over and change the course you had originally planned? Quite often, actually. I try to keep them on the path I have planned for them but every once in a while they change it up on me and then I have to change our original course a bit.
8. Where does the creative magic happen? (where do you do most of your writing) I do all of my writing in my office.
9. Do you strictly write on your computer, or do you jot notes down on napkins? I have notebooks all over the house and I always have one in my purse. I am constantly jotting down notes but I when I actually write, that is all done on my laptop.
10. Do you need silence to write, or is there music playing in the background? Silence would be ideal, or even music playing softly in the background would be fantastic but, in my house, I play music in my office to drown out the noise of the rest of the house.
11. Do you still enjoy writing, or has it become a ‘job’? I still love writing and I can’t imagine it ever feeling like a chore. Writing is my sanity.
12. How did you come up with your characters names? Usually a name will just come to me, other times I really need to put some thought into it. Especially if the names I come up with keep starting with the same letter. Recently I introduced two new characters and they both started with the letter D. That just wasn’t going to work so, after some contemplation, I have given them new names.
13. What is your favorite book/series? Oh, geez, I have so many! I love Rachel Caine’s Morganville Vampires series, Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse series, the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance saga, Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush, Hush series, and J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series- just to name a few.
14. How many books will there be in the series? I do not have a set number of books to tell Laney’s story. I can tell you that, at this point, there will be at least four more books to tell her story.
15. Does writing get easier after the first book? For me it has. With my first book, Laney, I was nervous that others would not like it. Of course I thought it was pretty good but I also think my singing voice isn’t too shabby (I’ve been told differently). ;) Once I released Laney to the world and positive responses came back it boosted my confidence. I felt like I could actually do this. Now, after my second release, Darkness, I have a little more experience and now, while working on my future releases, I find myself more comfortable when writing.
16. Do you get writers block? How do you get past it? Thankfully, (and I’m knocking on wood here) writer’s block is not something I have had a problem with. Occasionally I’ll have a problem finding the right word or phrase so I will take a moment to close my eyes and take a breath and that usually helps. Sometimes I get restless while writing and can’t focus so I’ll take a break and come back to it once I’ve stretched a bit and had a snack and possible a little time outdoors.
17. Does the time of day make a difference when you’re writing? The time of day does not make a difference; it’s a matter of finding time in the day to get any writing done. But typically, I prefer to get started writing as soon as my day starts. Writing makes me happy and my brain seems to function a little better in the mornings.
18. When it comes to your series, do you find yourself on the side of the vampire or human? I think that really depends on the particular human or vampire.
19. Tell me something I don’t know? I am an enthusiast of ancient history and the middle ages, Arthurian Legend, and Greek Mythology.
Also, check back each day this week for reviews of the books!